Site Reliability Engineer – Developer Experience
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
We’re a truly global e-commerce company, with business operations in nearly every country and city on the planet. And we want to make it easy for everyone, anywhere in the world, to pay for their travel or do business with our platform – whenever and however it’s convenient for them.
At Developer Experience – part of our Core Platform Unit – we want to create extraordinary tools for developers which will allow them to spend minimal time fighting databases and configurations, all while having healthy code in their environment, whether that’s VMs, Container or bare-metal.
The team is responsible for providing an environment of software development workflows and tools that enables all the Booking.com developers to do their best work and to build exciting travel products. We accomplish this by providing a fast, safe and easy to use path from concept to production without unneeded distractions. This scope includes the following topics:
– Language stack support for Java, NodeJS, Perl frameworks and their integrations in the Booking.com ecosystem.
– Core developer lifecycle tools like Gitlab, Artifactory, SonarQube, Sourcegraph, dev and test environments, CI and Centralised build tooling (Bazel and others), Harness CD and Apigee API gateway.
About being a SRE at Booking.com
The core premise for the Booking SRE lies in treating operational issues as a software problem. We code our way out of problems where operations are concerned addressing availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency challenges within the vast infrastructure here at Booking.
As a member of one of the 6 Developer Experience teams, you will have the possibility of making meaningful and measurable improvements impacting millions of people. You will be working in one of the biggest e-commerce companies in the world, driving development for a whole tech organisation of over 2.5k people!
- Design, develop and implement systems software that improves the stability, scalability, availability and latency of the Booking.com products;
- Take ownership of one or more services and have the freedom to do what is best for our business and customers;
- Solve problems occurring with our highly available production systems and build solutions and automation to prevent them from happening again;
- Build effective monitoring to monitor the health of your system, and jump in to handle outages;
- Build and run capacity tests to handle the growth of your systems;
- Plan for reliability by designing systems to work across our multinational data centers;
- Develop tools to assist the product development teams with successfully deploying 1000s of change sets every day;
- Be an advocate of engineering best practices;
- Share the on-call rotation and be a critical contact for incidents
- Contribute to Booking.com’s growth through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
- Proven experience in at least one programming language (backend).
- Experience with building, operating and maintaining scalable distributed systems, and with operations automation;
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code technologies;
- Knowledge of cloud computing fundamentals;
- Validated foundation in Linux administration and troubleshooting;
- Understanding of Service level agreements and objectives;
- Additional experience in OpenStack, Kubernetes, Networking, Security or Storage is desirable;
- Monitoring / observability technologies like Prometheus, Graphite, Grafana, Kibana, Elasticsearch are a plus;
- Good interpersonal skills
- Proficient command of the English language, both written and spoken
We are a performance-based company that offers career advancement and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential. We also offer what we call the “Booking Deal” with other attractive perks and benefits. The Technology department has monthly hackathons, training and attends/speaks at global conferences.
This position is open to worldwide candidates and in the case of relocation, we will assist you with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam. We have effectively relocated 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year!
We value Diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.