Manager, Telephony Engineering
Login to bookmark
Responsible for the budgeting, design, constructing and support of cost effective, scalable, reliable and manageable network solutions focused on switch engineering. Manages the central office switches deployed by Charter Communications. Switches may be Constant Bit Rate (CBR)/Time Division Multiplexed (TDM) or packet based such as VoiceOver IP soft switches.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides both long range and tactical network plans in support of strategic and immediate needs to ensure projects are delivered on time, adhering to high quality standards while meeting customer expectations.
- Manages advanced troubleshooting process to resolve complex telephone related outages while collaborating with all available internal and external resources for prompt resolution.
- Administers enterprise-wide Network Management Systems (NMS) applications and their associated operating systems and databases.
- Manages Switch data architecture and switch hardware to include Constant Bit Rate (CBR)/ Time Division Multiplexed (TDM) or packet-based switches such as Voice Over IP soft switches.
- Develops processes and procedures to allow switch platforms to be integrated into billing systems, trouble management systems, LNP (Local Number Portability), LIDB (Line Information Database), and other back-office database systems.
- Documents and ensures Switch standards are in compliance while supporting Switch software upgrades.
- Provides Sr. level management with recommendations on advanced telephone network architecture, technologies and protocols.
- Delivers accurate comprehensive statistical reporting on the health of the switches and associated network.
- Develops and trains TOE team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of Wireline, Wireless, or Broadband telephony switch installation or administration
- Minimum of five (5) years of Voice operations experience in CLEC (Competitive Local Exchange Carrier), ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier) or IXC (Inter-exchange Carriers)
- Minimum of three (3) years of Database management and network configuration work experience
- Minimum of three (3) years of Management experience
- Must be able to work the following flexible schedule: Sunday – Thursday/Tuesday – Saturday 7:00 PM to 4:00 AM
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to effectively communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straightforward, and professional manner.
- Strong ability to analyze and interpret data, prepare budgets and scopes of work.
- Solid knowledge of circuit switching architectures and technology (e.g., SS7 signaling, dial plans, trunking, etc.).
- Broad knowledge of PSTN (public switched telephone network) telephone industry practices, including Bellcore standards (GR-317, GR394, GR909, etc.) along with telephone industry knowledge of tariffs and applicable rates.
- Demonstrated expertise with the public switched network designs, technology and architecture, as well as telecommunication carrier networks.
- Knowledge of company products and services
- Strong working knowledge of MetaSwitch or equivalent, VoIP Switch, Packet Switching equipment, DM transport equipment and operation covering from DS-0 through OC-X
- Knowledge of IMS Voice Core, Metaswitch, Cisco UCS, Vmware and virtual applications
- NCTI, SCTE, BCT/E certifications or other industry related certifications
- Office Environment
- Occasional travel as required